Legislative Advocacy Committee
About the Committee
Keeping abreast of the ever changing legislative environment and looking for opportunities to influence the law relating to labor issues is one of the pillars of IPELRA. The Legislative Advocacy Committee works to make sure IPELRA has a seat at the table.
The primary focus is to track bills as they move through the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor's office, as well as federal legislation relevant to our members. The committee updates IPELRA members on important pending legislation, as well as recently passed legislation via this website and the IPELRA Reporter newsletter.
As a service to members, the IPELRA Legislative Advocacy Committee utilizes BillTrack50 to bring important Illinois legislation to your attention. Access to BillTrack50.com is included in your IPELRA membership.
How do I gain access to BillTrack50?
- Go to the registration website. When registering, please use the email address on file with IPELRA. Please email Debi Stensland, IPELRA Secretariat, with questions regarding the email address on file with IPELRA.
- Once you have completed the registration, you will be asked to verify your email address (i.e. the email address on file with IPELRA), then Bill Track system will align you with your BillTrack50 IPELRA account.
Review the following links to become familiar with BillTrack50:
Legislation We're WatchingClick on the blue text to view bill details
The committee files amicus curiae or "friend of the court" briefs in Illinois state courts in cases of importance to the public sector human resources and labor relations profession. The committee also files briefs in federal courts when cases raise issues that concern the membership. Members interested in having IPELRA file an amicus brief can contact Chairperson Pam Jackson.
Join the Committee
- Pam Jackson, Village of Palatine, Chairperson
- Carlos Arevalo, SmithAmundsen LLC
- Kay Argo, Village of Lemont
- William Fishburn, Village of Schaumburg
- Tameika Jones, City of Waukegan
- Jim Powers, Clark Baird Smith LLP
- Leslie Rienzie-Barry, Will County Circuit Clerk
- Emily Taub, City of Highland Park
Find your legislators
Visit the elected officials page to learn how to get in touch with your federal, state, and local elected leaders.