About the Committee
One of the pillars of the IPELRA, training is key to IPELRA’s standing as the premiere organization for public sector labor professionals representing the management side of the table. IPELRA training is conducted by top-quality presenters who are hands-on practitioners in both labor law and human resources. The value is great, and the fees for training are set with an eye towards tight budgets.
Pictured above: The IPELRA Training Committee proudly displays their 2017 Pacesetter Award. This award was accepted by past Committee Chairs Leslie Rienzie-Barry, Patty Hoppenstedt, and Wendy Bednarek, along with DeSha Kalmar, lead developer and coordinator of the Employment Law Seminar.
The largest committee of all IPELRA committees, the Training Committee plans a calendar of seminars and events throughout the year, with the overall goal of offering eight to ten half-day or full-day programs throughout the year. In addition, the Committee plans a three-day Annual Training Conference, as well as a one-day Public Sector Employment Law Seminar, both of which are not-to-miss events.
Join the Committee
All of this takes work. Training Committee members meet monthly either by conference call or at various facilities. The meeting agenda is sent in advance and includes discussions and decisions that need to be made on professional development for IPELRA members. We love ideas for training topics. Training Committee members are asked to volunteer to coordinate monthly training events. This includes: coordinating with presenters and site hosts. Training Committee coordinators manage the onsite registration process, and ensure a positive training experience for participants. In addition, training committee members are asked to participate in one full-day meeting to plan the annual conference for the coming year. They are also asked to volunteer to serve as moderators for the Annual Conference.
Training Committee Members at the 2018 Annual Training Conference: (back left to right) Roxanne Bonner, Christa Ballowe, Heather McGovern, Kay Argo, Julie Meyer. (front left to right) Wendy Bednarek, Lora Rausch, DeSha Kalmar, Megan Fulara
- DeSha Kalmar, City of Lake Forest, Chairperson
- Roxanne Bonner, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, Vice Chairperson
- Megan Fulara, City of Crest Hill, Vice Chairperson
- Ioana Ardelean, Village of Itasca
- Kay Argo, Village of Lemont
- Christine Bajor, Village of Wheeling
- Christa C. Ballowe, Village of Skokie
- Sylvia Gomez, Rock Island County
- Chrissy Hoover, Village of Huntley
- Pam Jackson, Village of Palatine
- Tameika Jones, City of Waukegan
- Heather McGovern, Village of Barrington
- Julie Meyer, City of Crystal Lake
- Lora Rausch, CMS Labor Relations
- Leslie Rienzie-Barry, Will County Circuit Clerk
- Michelle Robbins, Village of Brookfield
- Robert J. Smith, Jr., Clark Baird Smith LLP